Amid the Persepolis novel process, the greatest challenge was to not compare my work with others, as it only made me have a constant want to appear better rather than making me an improved writer. Many times I encountered myself providing my main focus on how I could make my novel appear superior to others, a foolish choice as there was no achievement if I was to succeed. I found myself entangled into an underground competition with no competitors, as I challenged myself based upon the appearance of others work. I thought to myself, wishing I had chosen that specific topic, or wishing I had used that technique with the black marker, all of this creating no progress whatsoever as I was not able to comprehend the fact that my work is a reflection of myself and not who I aspire to be. I set a goal, one that would allow me to not indulge myself into the so called competition but to realize that keeping to myself would be the best method to succeed in the project where the foremost ideas come from myself, not from others. This goal played out well as I completed the project with every aspect to my liking.
Despite the camaraderie among the class, the fear of being criticized through peer feedback is something I discovered within myself. After I had submitted my work to VoiceThread, my immediate reaction was “What did I do wrong.” The constant questioning consumed my thoughts as I was afraid my work would not be understood. However, once I had written my constructive criticism and opinion on my fellow classmates novel that involved the growth of a young muffin transitioning into an elegant cupcake, I came to the conclusion that the peer feedback was not designed to ridicule one another but was another voice that could potentially improve the project. I received the comments only to discover a document filled with lenient and kind suggestions that were thoroughly thought out in order that I could improve my novel, an underestimation of my classmates. I again created a goal that stated I should not fear criticism because it is the one key to improvement, the key to making me a more sophisticated writer.
No comments:
Post a Comment